Orcas!!!


The blog has been a hit(thanks for checking in) and so we feel we owe it to those of you that stop by frequently to keep fresh photos and stories coming. Two in one day may be a bit much but I can't pass this one up!!

Such was the story with the whales today too. Erik, my boss at Anacortes Kayak Tours, called me up and proposed two options for the day; we could pack for the following day's overnight trip or we could paddle out and try to catch the whales coming through. Tough choice, but option number two allowed for some of the most awe inspiring procrastination that I have ever taken part in. And, those of you that know me well know that I have done my fair share of procrastination over the years.

The trip gets better, our company is partnered up with Island Adventures, a very reputable whale watch company here in town. The owner happened to be a few cars ahead of us on our way to the put-in. Without any prompting from us he asks, "should we put the boats on the Whaler?" The Whaler is a very fast catameran that happened to be sitting unoccupied and lonely down at the harbor. So, on the boats go and we our off and on our way. I felt like I was back in my search and rescue days again. I received the call from Erik, and five minutes later I was on my way out the door of the house with my gear and a sandwich in my mouth and 15 minutes later we were out in the entrance to Guemes channel, an area known as Hell's half-acre. Named for the multitude of currents that converge at that spot. No worries at slack tide. Currents weren't converging today but the whales were.

We set ourselves "downstream" from the Orca's path and waited for them to swim on by. When I say "swim right by," I mean, RIGHT by!! One passed along side my boat inches under the water. It's beautiful white markings showing through the bluish-green Puget Sound waters. I would be lying if I said that my legs did not quiver a bit during this ordeal but it sure was amazing. As quick as the whole episode began, it was finished. They kept moving and we began our paddle home with reminders off in the distance of what we had just experienced as we watched displays of white spray shoot skyward from their breaching.

It is days like this when I look back and say, WOW, I sure do lived a charmed life! Gotta go now and get that packing done.


Enjoying a quick ride out to visit the Orcas! Below: You can see the orcas approaching off in the distance

Comments

Jeff, you're a legend! Thanks for the plug in the last post and I'm sure looking forward to our trip next week. Let's pray for more whales! Don't forget to bring your swimmers to the slideshow tonight. Ciao!
Anonymous said…
6-13-06
That is so cool! Dad and I really enjoy "going along on your adventures" Can't wait to hear about what you did today....
Happy Birthday!
mom