Paddle and Portage

I wanted to try something different. I was looking for a change of pace. Madison's Paddle Portage race last weekend offered Chris and I just such an adventure. It was a perfect excuse to get on the water and to try our hand at a bit of amphibious competition. The race consisted of a 1.5 mile paddle on Lake Mendota then a mile portage over the isthmus past the capital followed by another 1.5 mile paddle on Lake Menona. In it's 31st year this was actually the first race I have ever participated in. Chris, my right-hand man around here at camp certainly was the right guy to have on my team. Topher, as he is known around here was a fierce competitor and he pushed me to paddle hard and portage hard. When the dust settled and the paddles had dried off we came in 22nd in our division of 57, the mens down-hill. They arrange brackets by combined age so we were in the 60-79 year bracket. Over 700 participants turned out. The spectacle of inverted canoes traveling down the streets of Madison among the Saturday market crowd was a sight to behold. Upon completion of the race we were entitled to one complimentary bottle of water, two brats and all the beer that we wanted. Welcome to Wi. Thanks Chris and thanks also to the Camp Gray folks that turned out to cheer us on.
Don't mess with team Over Yonder
Looking out over Lake Mendota just before our wave, Wave D took off.
Some folks opted for the two-man carry. Topher and I each portaged twice over the mile route while the other would cruise along side carrying the paddles.
We Managed to get great placement off the beach at the start of the heat. Boats certainly went over and we glad to not be a part of that.

Rebecca took this shot right as team Over Yonder crossed the finish line!


Andrew of course loved hangin' out with the racers at the post race festivities.

Comments

Chris Topher said…
Good read, sir!

It was certainly a pleasure paddling and portaging with you, too!

When's the next race?!
Molly Mc said…
That is awesome!!! I totally want to do that race!
What a blast. Love the team name!