...And it was good
"...and God saw that it was good"(Gen1:10). God's creation is indeed good, it's more than "good," it's terrific. More than that, time in His creation is good and it is healing. We, as part of creation, are meant to be out in it. As a part of First Descents we are also meant to be "Out Living it."
The past week spent just outside of Jackson, WY was the winning combination of time outside, hanging out with fellow survivors/fighters coupled with a great staff and delicious food. What more could one ask for? Cancer has a way of robbing years of life, confidence and joy away. On the far side of treatment the battle continues to get all of that back. The week in WY was a major win in that battle. It felt so good to be doing something that I truly enjoy.
Although this was my first time in a whitewater kayak on a river, I am no stranger to rivers nor am I a stranger to kayaks. One thing I found myself reflecting on quite frequently over the week is just how blessed I am. I have rafted rivers all over the US, including some pretty big name adventures, including the New and the Gauley out east to the Skykomish river out west. My time on the water even includes a trip down the Bhote Kosi, beginning three miles off the boarder of Tibet in Nepal. I love water, I have always been drawn to it. My time in a sea kayak out West has taught me a thing or two about current and has given me a solid roll. This week tested my skills, pushed me and more than anything proved that I am almost back to "normal." Everyone who has fought cancer talks of the "new normal" after treatment and that is certainly true. Fonda, one of my fellow participants recounted the fact that after her transplant Doc told her that her new 100% was more like her old 80%. We may never be quite the same but we carry with us an experience that has hopefully changed us for the better.
FD certainly gave me an opportunity to get out and look beyond cancer. There was time to look back too but most importantly, I was able to look ahead to all that life has in store for me as I move forward.
Thanks to everyone who has journeyed with me.
The past week spent just outside of Jackson, WY was the winning combination of time outside, hanging out with fellow survivors/fighters coupled with a great staff and delicious food. What more could one ask for? Cancer has a way of robbing years of life, confidence and joy away. On the far side of treatment the battle continues to get all of that back. The week in WY was a major win in that battle. It felt so good to be doing something that I truly enjoy.
Although this was my first time in a whitewater kayak on a river, I am no stranger to rivers nor am I a stranger to kayaks. One thing I found myself reflecting on quite frequently over the week is just how blessed I am. I have rafted rivers all over the US, including some pretty big name adventures, including the New and the Gauley out east to the Skykomish river out west. My time on the water even includes a trip down the Bhote Kosi, beginning three miles off the boarder of Tibet in Nepal. I love water, I have always been drawn to it. My time in a sea kayak out West has taught me a thing or two about current and has given me a solid roll. This week tested my skills, pushed me and more than anything proved that I am almost back to "normal." Everyone who has fought cancer talks of the "new normal" after treatment and that is certainly true. Fonda, one of my fellow participants recounted the fact that after her transplant Doc told her that her new 100% was more like her old 80%. We may never be quite the same but we carry with us an experience that has hopefully changed us for the better.
FD certainly gave me an opportunity to get out and look beyond cancer. There was time to look back too but most importantly, I was able to look ahead to all that life has in store for me as I move forward.
Thanks to everyone who has journeyed with me.

Comments
mom and dad