First Descents
As Rebecca left, she mentioned the word "closure". The time was finally here, this month marks two years out of transplant and it was time for some closure. After returning last year from my FD trip I told Rebecca that I planned to nominate her for a program they call FD Rock. It's a week long trip for caregivers of cancer patients. She was hesitant at first but I said, let's just throw your hat in the ring and let them decide if you get to go or not. Sure enough, she was chosen along with 11 others who have cared for loved ones with cancer. She spent a week in Western Massachusetts on the Deerfield river and came home rejuvenated and touched by all that went on that week. First Descents has been a phenomenal experience for both of us and given us a much needed renewal of a spirit that has been somewhat hampered by the challenges of the past few years.
Once a participant has gone out and experienced the power of nature along with fellow companions traveling similar paths, FD inspires participants to continue to get "out living it" by taking on some personal challenge. Next week after camp is over, I am going to attempt to do something I have never done before and something, I surely could not have done two years ago. Along with Kevin, my brother, by my side(and Rebecca in a kayak) we are going to swim the length of Devils Lake, which is approximately one mile! It is fitting that Kevin and I will be together since he spent many a day by my bedside while I was at UW undergoing my bone marrow transplant. It is my hope to raise at least $500 for FD so that I may help to provide the same life changing experience for another cancer survivor.
There are great resources and support available for those undergoing treatment, but First Descents is there to move beyond that and move back to a life outside of cancer. In just a few short weeks I will be joining FD again to tackle the Rogue river in Southern OR. Thank you all for your support and let's get "out living it."
Rebecca and I found a little time this week to get out on our local river for a short paddle. It's great to be on the water together.

Comments