Rolling in Cascade Lake

Today, we took our skills to a new level. The first skill was how to dress for a mighty chilly lake on a windy day in March.(see Below) We donned a garment called a Tuilik(http://www.seacanoe.org/tuilik.htm) which is much like what the traditional Inuit paddlers wore to keep them dry and warm. It is said that they would tighten the face piece of the suit until the face gets "ugly."(no comment here please) We wore these over dry suits, which were worn over mutiple layers of fleece--it was warm as could be. Then came the roll.
Those of you that may have seen photos from our paddling salad days know that the next photo to follow the above picture would be me "wet exiting" the boat and doing what I could to hold onto the boat until I could safely get back in. Now, we are able to perform the best method of self-rescue, the eskimo roll. It is used anytime a brace manuever fails in heavy current, wind or waves. I am proud to say that in the photo you see, I am on my way back into an upright paddling position. It seems to work much easier that way. It is a skill that will require much practice to become proficient in all conditions. Typically, if a roll is needed, it is less than ideal conditions which mean that it will not be as easy as it was in our frigid little lake. We're off to practice. See you on the water, and happy rolling.
Comments
Little Hoeben
+Sarah