Spring time---Ring-a-ling-a-ding time

We find ourselves here in Anacortes falling into a bit of a routine. I know for some of you that may be a bit hard to believe but it is true. I have been on the water the last seven days straight which means huge improvements in my skills. The above picture was taken last weekend while we trained on a cold rainy day in Little Cranberry lake. Shauna and Leon from Body, Boat, Blade where back to impart their vast amounts of wisdom on all of the guides for this season. In the photo I am performing what is known as a T-rescue. It is used to empty a boat after a paddler capsizes. Again, the idea is to roll back up after a capsize which alleviates any possibility of water entering the cockpit but for some folks that is easier said than done. I am proud to say that my roll is coming along quite well. In the other photo I am doing what they call sculling for support. It is a way to lay sideways in one's boat in order to maintain an air supply until conditions allow for a complete roll back up. It is a very comfortable position to hold and "hang" out in while in the water. It is also a good way to cool off when wearing a dry suit.
Comments