Deception Pass - The Good parts version



This summer I had a few goals when I set out for WA. One that was high on the list was to paddle Deception Pass. The pass is a narrow passage between Whidbey island and Fidalgo Island. The narrow constriction provides some fierce tidal movement which, when not prepared can be a matter of having a very bad day, although if one is ready for some great paddling and confident in rough water it can be a wonderful playground.

What is difficult to capture in a photo is the fact that the water is moving quite swiftly at about 7.2 knots. That is fast! The churning water that you see is an eddy flowing against the main flow of water. We paddle with the eddy and then prepare to enter the swift water by leaning the boat towards the flow of the main water in order to stay upright as the current pulls the boat around forcefully. It is all quite fun really. Anyone that has ever stood on top of the bridge and looked down may remember the massive whirlpools and boils that form in turbulent water such as this. It makes for great rescue practice as the whirlpools open up and tear boaters from their cockpit. This was not a situation that I experienced but I stood by and watched as the pool snatched my buddy's boat(which he was now out of) and spun it around with the bow pointed high in the air. I wish I had pictures of that but I was busy positioning myself for a rescue at that point. All said I got to practice that maneuver twice that day. It was a blast. Thanks Erik for getting out.

Comments