And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
I hope today finds everyone settling into 2012 seamlessly, and going strong on those resolutions. Amid all the craziness of life, we have been trying to soak up our kiddos lately. Winter has finally arrived and the snow is a welcome sight, although 52 degrees in January and time at the park with all three kiddos was pretty darn enjoyable too.
Let's talk about life beyond cancer for a brief while. I am beginning to feel a bit like Ambrose Burnside lately. You see, there is a distinct line on my face where my hair has been burned off from radiation. Now, I don't typically wear a beard but I like to have the option. I am only slightly bitter about this given the fact that it was never mentioned as a side effect of radiation. I have no idea how long it will last but in the mean time I will enjoy conserving shaving cream. I also enjoy knowing that I could fit right in at the battle of Antietam if I were to travel back in time.
Seriously though, while conversing with my sister Annette about radiation she likened what I was describing as the "Frog in hot water" phenomena. Every day I would lay on the table and never feel a thing while radiation was happening. It takes awhile for one's body to catch up and then once it does, boy howdy, it catches up. My throat became extremely sore and talking became difficult. (That's a tough cross to carry for a communications major like me.) I had a prescription for lidocaine that I could take to numb my throat briefly so that I could eat a little something... Some days I longed for the tube again. (Well, not really). Rebecca, Mary and I traveled to Kansas for Tim and Lauren's wedding the week after New Years. I was supposed to read the second reading and I just couldn't make it happen. It was just one more humbling reminder that I am not quite healthy yet. Patience, Jeff, patience.
The journey, although nearly finished, I have a feeling will go on for quite some time. Although, the physical effects may soon be past. I have learned time and time again through all of this that nothing ever seems to go as planned or as fast as I hope. Mentally, there is still some junk to work through too. Right now, the toughest thing for me is to hear of others' cancer stories. Being able to relate on a new level is a strange feeling/reminder for me. I can go into that more later but for now, I want to say Happy New year and remember to smile.
I hope today finds everyone settling into 2012 seamlessly, and going strong on those resolutions. Amid all the craziness of life, we have been trying to soak up our kiddos lately. Winter has finally arrived and the snow is a welcome sight, although 52 degrees in January and time at the park with all three kiddos was pretty darn enjoyable too.
Let's talk about life beyond cancer for a brief while. I am beginning to feel a bit like Ambrose Burnside lately. You see, there is a distinct line on my face where my hair has been burned off from radiation. Now, I don't typically wear a beard but I like to have the option. I am only slightly bitter about this given the fact that it was never mentioned as a side effect of radiation. I have no idea how long it will last but in the mean time I will enjoy conserving shaving cream. I also enjoy knowing that I could fit right in at the battle of Antietam if I were to travel back in time.
Seriously though, while conversing with my sister Annette about radiation she likened what I was describing as the "Frog in hot water" phenomena. Every day I would lay on the table and never feel a thing while radiation was happening. It takes awhile for one's body to catch up and then once it does, boy howdy, it catches up. My throat became extremely sore and talking became difficult. (That's a tough cross to carry for a communications major like me.) I had a prescription for lidocaine that I could take to numb my throat briefly so that I could eat a little something... Some days I longed for the tube again. (Well, not really). Rebecca, Mary and I traveled to Kansas for Tim and Lauren's wedding the week after New Years. I was supposed to read the second reading and I just couldn't make it happen. It was just one more humbling reminder that I am not quite healthy yet. Patience, Jeff, patience.
The journey, although nearly finished, I have a feeling will go on for quite some time. Although, the physical effects may soon be past. I have learned time and time again through all of this that nothing ever seems to go as planned or as fast as I hope. Mentally, there is still some junk to work through too. Right now, the toughest thing for me is to hear of others' cancer stories. Being able to relate on a new level is a strange feeling/reminder for me. I can go into that more later but for now, I want to say Happy New year and remember to smile.
Comments