Happy Solstice

The longest day of the year is upon us my friends! Today in Wisconsin we'll see 15h26m of daylight.  Compared to Anchorage, those fine folks up there will be treated to 19h21m of daylight.  Up North it is a pretty big celebration.  In Dawson City, one hundred miles from the Arctic circle in Canada's Yukon Territory where I used to spend many summer days the bars always had some pretty fun Solstice jocularity.  Frozen turkey bowling was always my favorite. I miss those days, not the turkey bowling so much but the land of the midnight sun certainly is magical.  If your are up for a little poetry here is one of my favorite poems from the North.  Robert Service, known as the bard of the Yukon captures it well from back in the gold rush days in, The Spell of the Yukon

As for life far from the North, here at St. Mary's...I'm too tired to write a poem of my own but so far day two has been a good one.  My solstice celebration consisted of a chocolate shake from Michael's Frozen Custard.  Brought to me by a fellow cancer survivor friend of mine! Thanks Bridget.

8:30pm, I just came up from my time in the beautiful gardens of St. Mary's.  Fresh air is a true joy, albeit, a little warm out today. Soon it will be time for sheet street and pillow alley.  Good night all.


Comments