Smelling Salts

After mass at the hospital yesterday morning, a complete strange said to me, "I prayed especially for you today, that God cures you."  Wow, powerful stuff.  I said nothing more than, "thank you." There were no introductions, no further conversation, yet I walked away feeling a sort of peace.  It was one of those "smelling salt moments." A good friend of mine, Dena, who died 12 years ago in a scuba accident coined that term.  It's those moments in life when we are jarred awake to the world around us.  Those smelling salt moments when we really truly become aware of the beauty and awesome power of God in our lives.  This woman reminds me that we are truly are brothers and sisters.  She did not need to pray for me and yet she asked God to come to my side.  Powerful!

It is moments like that that renew my energy in the battle.  These five days were tough.  The smells of the hospital,  even various little sights bother me.  This morning, one of the nurses had left her protective glasses on her computer counsel in the room.  That bothers me.  Why, because it reminds me of chemo.  At the hospital, each chemo drug that is administered requires the nurses to double glove, don an apron and a protective face shield.  What do I get, nothing, it just goes right into my veins.  Thanks guys.  It can be difficult.  

My mom and I were chatting with Sister Sandy who comes around to chat with me every now and again and she was telling us of a man about my age that was going home today.  He had been at St. Mary's for 104 days...Life could always be much worse.  I am thankful to be home and I look forward to some more good days before I'm back at it on July 10th.  I will have more of an update after July 2 too.  That will be a CT scan and a meeting with Dr. Longo, the BMT doctor.  One day at a time though.  Peace to you all and may you experience a smelling salt moment or two this weekend. 

Comments

Cheri said…
Oh Jeff, I haven't commented in a while, But I just read the last 3 post and as usual I laughed, cried, and Prayed. You are a lovely writer and thank you for continuing to blog even thou many days I would think you would want to curl up in a ball and shut the world out. Stay strong.