Complete Remission!
Dr. Sanyal (my oncologist) said today that yes, I can in fact say I am in complete remission. He said that it will be quite awhile before he can say that I am "cured" of cancer but complete remission is a great thing! My platelet count was a tad low so I will have that rechecked in six weeks and then a CT scan in early May as it will be about six months out of treatment.
It was strange being back at the clinic today. Some of it feels so distant and some of it feels like only yesterday. Certainly a mix of emotions.
Speaking of emotions...Last week I received a call from a good friend of mine up in AK. Greg and I met in 1999 in Skagway while I was driving tour buses around the state. I worked with his future wife (Kristen) at that time as she rode alone as a tour director on trips as well. We always stayed in touch and they were kind enough to let me live with them for a short stint during one summer while driving out of Anchorage. Alaska is certainly a long way away and it has been awhile since I have seen them. Five kids between the two couples have yet to ever meet but we have remained close through all the distance and time. Greg called to ask if I would be one of his sponsor patients as prepares for a Triathlon with Team in Training through the Leukemia Lymphoma society. You can check out his blog HERE. Some of you may recall Back in May when a bunch of my staff ran a half marathon for me. It really is very humbling. The really great part about this is that Greg betters himself through this all while showing some tremendous support to a whole bunch of other folks at the same time. Everybody wins. Unfortunately, it is not part of the deal to join him in early June in Hawaii for the Triathlon but I don't have to join him in sub-zero temps for training either. Greg, know that I am honored and I will be praying for you down here and as I swim laps I will be thinking of all the training going on up North!
It was strange being back at the clinic today. Some of it feels so distant and some of it feels like only yesterday. Certainly a mix of emotions.
Speaking of emotions...Last week I received a call from a good friend of mine up in AK. Greg and I met in 1999 in Skagway while I was driving tour buses around the state. I worked with his future wife (Kristen) at that time as she rode alone as a tour director on trips as well. We always stayed in touch and they were kind enough to let me live with them for a short stint during one summer while driving out of Anchorage. Alaska is certainly a long way away and it has been awhile since I have seen them. Five kids between the two couples have yet to ever meet but we have remained close through all the distance and time. Greg called to ask if I would be one of his sponsor patients as prepares for a Triathlon with Team in Training through the Leukemia Lymphoma society. You can check out his blog HERE. Some of you may recall Back in May when a bunch of my staff ran a half marathon for me. It really is very humbling. The really great part about this is that Greg betters himself through this all while showing some tremendous support to a whole bunch of other folks at the same time. Everybody wins. Unfortunately, it is not part of the deal to join him in early June in Hawaii for the Triathlon but I don't have to join him in sub-zero temps for training either. Greg, know that I am honored and I will be praying for you down here and as I swim laps I will be thinking of all the training going on up North!
Comments