Evasive Parenting

The main floor of our house allows one to move in a circular pattern from the kitchen to the play room to the living room to the front entry and back to the kitchen again.  This traffic flow makes for a great track for little scoot cars, foot races or evasive parenting tactics.  The stairway to the second level dumps right out into the bottom of the circle.  We'll call it South or 180degrees.  The kitchen is at the top of the compass rose or North.   So, in the morning as the kids leave their chairs in the NW sector after eating their Kix/Cheerio medley I hear Rebecca approaching from the South.  Without letting them know, I direct her as to which direction she is allowed to travel in the circle.  Head East, Head west...whichever direction will alleviate a meeting with the wee ones.

Why all this trouble you may ask... You see, our kids(all three of them) love their mommy!  That's a great thing but man, it is amazing how they can go from totally calm to totally clingy and whiny in a matter of seconds.  So, if we are to get anything done in the morning sometimes we have to keep mom hidden.  It's a fun little game we play.  Why do I share it with you.  Great question.  No reason really.  It just makes me smile so I thought I would pass it along.

It's all part of the journey on the spectrum of surviving to thriving.  Onward we go, just look out who is around the corner.

Comments

Adam said…
Good story, Jeff. It's a strategy that makes perfect sense to me.

Adam