Combines and Chemo
Mom and I passed this beauty on the way down to my last Chemo treatment a week or so ago. We laughed about it at the time and then made a mental note to take a photo on the return trip after a day at the clinic. The amazing part of this picture, besides the fact that I took it out the window at 65 mph is that I remembered to take the photo at all after a chemo treatment. The sign that you may no be able to make out in the photo is an advertisement for a combine demolition derby. I wish I could've seen that event.
I bring this up only because people are curious about chemo, how is it going, how does it work, and really, what is chemotherapy anyway? I want to answer those questions so I thought the combine would be a good lead in. I apologize for the lengthy lull in writing, but I think it is a combination of feeling junky afterward and then by the time I am on the up and up, I don't really want to think about chemo anymore for a while. So, the combine was as far as my writing took me for the last week. Now, this morning we'll see if Joshua lets me get a little further.
Chemo for me is on the West side of Madison about 55min down the road. Each day starts with some blood samples taken from my handy-dandy PIC line. Then, I see Doc and I tell him about the latest crazy effects of chemo since we last met. Lately, it has been some crazy skin reactions to adhesives and even to the classic rubber cancer bracelets you see many people wearing. Sorry, Tanya, I tried. Ironically the bracelet she sent me simply states "Cancer Sucks," Fact! Doc then goes on to tell me how low my blood counts are. Which, for me has been quite low lately. He is always quick to state that we don't "Chicken out" with Hodgkins. Basically, in spite of really low numbers he proceeds with treatment as a way of balancing short-term risks for long-term gains. Meanwhile, back at the clinic, after a brief chat with doc, I head back to my chemo cubicle for the day. The majority of the little cubicles are on the outside wall of the building with large windows which is very refreshing.
Once seated in the halfway comfortable vinyl covered La-z-boy I get settled with a blanket and start taking on what they call "pre-drugs" I get some Benedryl, Tylenol and some anti-nausea medicine. Being the problem child that I am, I make the nurse get me the drugs in a liquid form so I can drop them in through my tube, and some they can give through the IV. Then, once I am sufficiently sleepy they bring on the real wee beastie killers. (Sleepiness is not a prerequisite for receiving all the chemo drugs, it just happens to be a side effect of the Benedryl for this guy) I don't mind though because I find sleeping to be the best way to pass the time. Although, Mom and I did watch a bit of "Cooking with Gianna" on the Food network last time I was there. I won't go into what each drug is, but, basically chemo therapy for me consists of a series of four different IV drugs. Mind you, there are different chemo treatments for all different forms of cancer, I get four drugs every other week. Others have far different regiments.
I hope this clears up a bit about what goes on every other Thursday. People often ask, "How did chemo go?" I am never sure how to answer that answer that question. I do appreciate the concern however. I am off to chemo again this Thursday with Diane. I'll try to get some more photos of the kiddos up before I head back to the clinic. Peace to you all and keep the prayers coming.
Comments