The Human side of Cancer

The book on the shelf next to me at the Oncology clinic is titled, "The Human Side of Cancer."  This title struck me, it's all the human side isn't it?  I had a pleasant "human" experience while at my CT scan last week. Some might say a religious experience of sorts. The nurse asked me where I worked and I told her Camp Gray, to which she replied, "what's that?" In my explanation I mentioned the word Catholic and that opened a door for her. Stay with me here, I'll get back to that.

Since the "installation" of the PIK line at the hospital, the needle poking has thankfully been kept to a minimum. For some reason though, the contrast used for the CT scan cannot be administered through my PIK line. Apparently I need the "purple" line for that but I did not get the memo, so I needed an IV placed. Up until the PIK line as I was seeking a diagnosis I got poked quite a few times. The nurse success rate on the 1st try was less than 10%. My veins just don't like me (or the nurses) anymore.

I have this one particular "beautiful" vein ( at least that's what the nurses always say) right on top of my left hand. It taunts the nurses and entices them in like a nice shady patch of grass in mid-July. As inviting as it might be, once the needle hits some pesky valve lurking below my skin, they wiggle the needle around a bit and then remove it feeling defeated while muttering something to the effect of "I usually don't have to do this twice"(or three times as the case may be.) Before the CT without looking to the left hand the nurse tried a promising vein on my right hand unsuccessfully. She immediately began reconnoitering for another more suitable site. I proceeded to show her a "money" spot that has given even the most defeated nurses a winning ticket. Of course, she glanced right over it and as if sucked in by the tractor beam she too was drawn to the top of my left hand.

Now, I know I am just the patient. What do I know? I know that this vein has not proved successful and I know that I don't like them fishing around as though I am a pin cushion. I plead with her to find greener pastures. She proceeds to beg me to allow her to try with the promise of a beer if she comes up short. Whoopee, a beer, which I cannot even drink. Well, drawing back to our earlier conversation she says, if we both say a little prayer to Mary then we'll be good to go. So, there I am not really able to argue with the intercession of Our Lady. I think you can all see where this is going. I don't get a beer and she get's her vein. Thanks Mary!  It is amazing what a little prayer can do, even in the simplest of situations. 

The CT scan showed that Chemo is most definitely doing it's job. As for the tear in the esophagus, there appears to still be some swelling around the site but it did not appear as though any of the 900ml of tasty barium that I swallowed found it's way outside. I will head on down to Madison next Thursday to verify that with the swallow test. The very same test that discovered this pesky little hole almost two months ago. If it is in fact healed Doc said it would mean a few days of trying out the new pipe with water and then on to foods such as Cream of Wheat! Bring it on. Stay tuned for a top ten list of foods to be consumed.    As always, thanks for checking and thanks for listening to this guy ramble on.

Comments

christel said…
Great to hear the good news! We're praying.
The other Howards said…
What exciting news on so many counts! Thank you for keeping all of us informed when I am sure you have so many things to do. It is always reassuring to watch our prayers working...even if it is in finding a vein.
The other Howards said…
What exciting news on so many counts! Thank you for keeping all of us informed when I am sure you have so many things to do. It is always reassuring to watch our prayers working...even if it is in finding a vein.
Must be hereditary... my veins always seem to "roll" too... at least, that's what the nurses say. So glad for that small triumph over your pesky left-hand vein. God is good. Can't wait to hear how the swallow test goes. More prayers, coming your way. Love you, Annette
Cheri N said…
Happy to hear that you are on the way up in the health department. As a nurse that start a lot of IV's we HATE to miss a vein. I will have to remember to pray with the pt next time I have a really hard start. Love the updates and the writing.