Let's go to the Library
I was ambitious today. You may be asking yourself, "self, what does ambition look like nowadays for Jeff?" Actually, I believe it was a first time event. All three little ones accompanied me out into public unaided. I know it may not sound like too much but it is quite an undertaking for this guy to get everyone ready to go around here without the aid of mama or some other willing hands. Earlier this summer Andrew and I discovered the beauty of the Baraboo Public library and he has really gotten into the rhythm of bringing home new and exciting books to read every other week or so.
The trip to town was uneventful. It was not until the ride home that trouble started brewing. Well, that is not exactly true either. I thought I was doing pretty well to have two of the three asleep just minutes after jumping into the van with our new found bounty of books. Mary and Andrew drifted to lala land quickly with the aid of some Motown tunes for kids. Josh, the one that typically falls asleep first was still grooving out but he was happy so in my head I began to plan out how the arrival and unload would go once we hit the driveway. Some things are better if they are not over thought...
The plan...Remove Josh first since he was happy and awake, come back for Mary and finally pick Andrew up and place him in his bed.
Here's how it actually went down. I pull into the driveway and leave the Motown playing for background noise. Mary, being the inquisitive one that she is pops awake as soon as my door even hints at opening. I go straight for Joshua, make a quick snatch and grab and let him out on the floor inside the house. He is screaming by the time his last buckle is unfastened. (Maybe he missed the Motown). I bring Mary upstairs and lay her in the crib thinking that she may fall back asleep...Man, was I wrong. Well, she is at least contained so I go back for Andrew, he even told me at the library that he was tired so I thought for sure that I could at least have a 33% success rate. He wiggled a bit as I unbuckled him, though he looked as though he was going to settle back in. Once we passed through the door to the sound of Joshua crying he broke loose... "I don't want to daddy!!"
It did not get any better from there. Three crying kids all at once can really tax a guy. I spent the next moments running from room to room tending to crying children. Everyone was tired but now they had had just enough sleep(apparently, kids only need 2.5 minutes) to reenergize and regroup. In the end the kids won out and Dad was worn out but we came home with some mighty fine reading material.
I know every one of you parents out there have days like this. My story is not unique, just a day in the life of the gang out here at camp. I am off tomorrow for a CT scan. The last treatment was the end of my fourth cycle. Two cycles(four treatments to go!) I'll let you know how things look after I meet with Doc next Thursday. Until then, please pray for restful nights and days filled with napping children.
Comments
Love, Annette
So happy to hear that you where feeling well enough to make the outing, at least at the begining.