And the World cannot be discovered...

And the world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles,
no matter how long,
but only by a spiritual journey,
a journey of one inch,
very arduous and humbling and joyful,
by which we arrive at the ground at our feet,
and learn to be at home.
~ Wendell Berry


Here's what I cannot figure out.  Is my lack of sleep my cause for writing or is my desire to write my cause for lack of sleep?  I wake up and I think of you, the faithful reader of my ramblings.  It creates in me a desire to ramble more.  So here we go.


I drove to Madison yesterday to the Oncology clinic to have my PIKK line dressing changed.  It needs to happen once a week.  Occasionally I have it done in Baraboo but I much prefer the work of the folks down south.  It is not a complicated process but it is always a little hit or miss in Baraboo.  Typically, I try to combine my off-week dressing change with some other errand or meeting in Madison although yesterday was simply a drive down at 7:15am and a quick turn around to be back up for a phone meeting at 10am.  


I thought, maybe I should cancel the appointment and just go see the nurse in Baraboo, but something said, "just go;"  so, I did.  Here's why, I think I need the drive time.  The quietness allows me to think.  With my cluttered mind nowadays, some uninterrupted thinking time is a definite must.  More than that though, there is something pleasant and redeeming about knowing I can go into the chemo clinic and not come out feeling totally spent.  It is a pleasant relief to "visit" and chat with people that have become friends.  I know it sounds weird to say but after six months, one really gets to know these people.  Everyone I ran into there yesterday called me by name.  For those of you that don't know, I am a big fan of names.  I am not always the best at it but there is no doubt a power in using a person's name and in remembering their name.  From the Jamie at the front desk to all the nurses in the back, I told myself the first day I went in, "Jeff, you've got a bit of time here and you'll probably see these folks again so learn who they are." It has really helped.  It's made a difference and I am thankful for their compassionate work ethic and friendship.  It makes the journey that much more "enjoyable."  


"Enjoyable" is maybe not a word used often when referring to one's cancer journey but in this mess, the folks at Dean Oncology certainly have been one source, out of many... of joy.  

Comments

cheri said…
Well Jeff, I am also a big fan of names. I, as a nurse, like it when patients call me by name. I talk really fast so sometimes they hear the wrong name but it makes me feel good that they tried.
The other Howards said…
What a great quote!