The Cassidy Games

I grew up going to camp.  Camp Parsons Boy Scout camp on Hood Canal provided experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life.  1988 was my first year.  Sacred Heart retreat camp in Big Bear, CA was another place one could find this enthusiastic camper back in my salad days.   What is it about life as an eleven year old that latches so tightly to the camp experience?  It is a struggle to capture the camp experience since so much of what takes place within a person is just that, within...Camp grows confidence, changes hearts and challenges thoughts and actions.  It acts on each and every participant in a different way but there is no doubt that changes occur in a kid while at camp that would not be possible in any other environment.

Watch this video of the Cassidy games, if you haven't already.  Nothing you see there is elaborate. (Ok, the opening fire is pretty darn cool but we can't divulge that secret.  It is no fun to take all the mystery out of life) Other than explosive flames, you'll see Tennis balls, red/blue bed sheets turned into flags, PVC pipe with a few holes drilled into it and banquet tables turned side ways.  Within these simple elements our staff can build excitement beyond belief.   It is the act of making the simple, simply life changing.  That's what we do at camp.

I was at  workshop last year on mentoring.  The presenter stated that people need mentors until we reach our fifties.  We all do it, we look for people we can look up to.  Hopefully, if camps do their job they put staff in place that give each and every kid someone they can be proud to observe, follow and yes mimmic as they go back to life beyond camp.

Not much is mentioned on this blog about Camp Gray but I want to make sure that you know what goes on here.  If you haven't seen it yet check out the Camp Gray Face Book page for an article I wrote about the power of prayer.  While you are there be sure to "like" the page so you can stay up on all the life changing that is going on around here.

It sure has changed my life.  I won't go into it all now...I have to save something for my book and it is late.  This lack of sleep is really getting to me.  Just suffice it to say that I consider myself to be so blessed to be a part of this community and I thank them for their tremendous support as we battle "the Hodge."  Chemo coming up on Thursday.  Three to go!          

Comments

cheri said…
Great video! Not only did this make me want to go to camp, I want to go to Camp Gray. Maybe next summer we can come down for a family weekend. I only went to a few weekend camps in high school, but you are so right it is an amazing experance that I will always remember. Good luck on thursday. Sounds sad but hope that it is no worse than the others. Thinking about you often.
Cheri
That video is EPIC! Very cool. Love the closing shot on Hoeben the Younger.