Good Bye Chemo!

Six months ago, this day seemed like a far distant dream.  The dream is here!  The thought of going to  chemo is so exciting that I have been up since 3:30am thinking about it...Well, ok, not really.  Mary woke up at 3:30 and then my mind kicked into high gear.  Here's a look inside.

The excitement of being finished has been a good distraction for me in terms of keeping me positive heading into this last round.  Usually, the night before chemo I end up with a few tears and a general kind of down feeling.  (Sometimes I even turn to poetry to cope.)  Not this time friends, I am ready to shut the door on The Hodge.  It is a wonderful feeling. Again, just to answer the "what's next Hoeben?" question I will head in for a PET scan on Nov. 10th and the results, along with my case will go to the tumor board on Nov. 16th.  I meet once again with Doctor Sanyal on the 17th to find out more on radiation.

Beyond those nuts and bolts, what's next Hoeben?  I am glad you asked.  I plan to head to the pool.  I cannot wait to move my body more and get back into some sense of living as a healthy human being.   I will only be in the pool long enough to let the snow pile up.  Then it is off to the cross country ski trails.  Anyone in the area that would like to get out, please give me a call.  Camp has some skis you can jump on!

There is more to life than getting in shape.  Allow me, if you will, to tell you about another major piece of what I plan to do next.  Day to day, there is not much separation between my life and work at camp.  That is due to the simple reason that "work" at camp is much more than "work," it is my vocation, I am called to serve our campers and camp families.  Service knows no bounds.  I have attempted to create just a small gap between the blog and camp but this news is too big not to share, so here it is...

In recent years, our almost thirty year old pool has begun to show it's age.  Most notably, kids were complaining of cutting their feet on the rough surface that has become less forgiving over the years.  Not to mention that it's size is woefully inadequate for the number of campers that swim at one time during the summer.  To make a long story short, a donor has stepped forward willing to match up to $100,000 dollars in donations towards a new pool.  Tremendous news, I know...Here's the only catch.  I only have until the end of December to raise the funds.

This is a wonderful opportunity for camp and for donors to double their donations.  It is also a wonderful opportunity for me to sink my teeth into a challenging project.  It is no small task given the timeframe but it is certainly doable.  If anyone out there would like to talk more about this opportunity please give me a shout out.

Right now, I am off to kick The Hodge's backside and I'll get back to raising money for camp in just a few days.

Comments

mama hoeben said…
God's speed to the Hodge, with no return in mind!!
Love you
Molly Rusk said…
Congrats Jeff-continuing prayers and....That's so exciting about the pool!
-Molly Rusk
Kelly Taylor said…
Congrats, Jeff! You did it! Please send me info about the pool fundraising. We'd love to help.