Twas the Night Before Chemo

A writer maybe, A poet I am not
Here's an attempt, I'll give it a shot.
Twas the night before chemo
and all through the abode
the mood was subdued on account of the load.

Chemo therapy's impending.
The name's a misnomer.
It's far from therapeutic,
In fact, it's a real bummer.

My eyebrows are thining,
I hope they hang on.
Leg hair is dwindling,
it's almost all gone.

Two treatments to go
The Hodge is a gonner.
As for the hair,
I hope it sticks around longer.

Before I head off
I shed a few tears.
Attempting to not let life be ruled by fears.

They creep in at times,
especially before
the time comes to walk through the clinic door.

I sit in the chair and receive my cocktail,
drugs with long names that will make me feel well.
The odd part is, before you go up
you've got to go down.
Five days of hard rest then I can hit the town.

I write this little poem,
I'm not too sure why.
It's hard to explain feelings.
I thought I would try.

The supports been immense,
this soon will be over.  The poem and the chemo,
no more will we suffer.

As many have said,
"it's just a bump in the road."
I thank you again for sharing the load.

So off once more
to fight the wee beasties.
I  feel much better
having shared this with yousises.

Comments

The other Howards said…
Thinking about you and loving you from a distance.
cheri said…
A writer for sure, a poet the jurys still out. On both accounts 100% better than me. Thinking and praying for you daily.
sarahbear221 said…
Jeff! I just found the rhythm! You're right, it needed to be read out loud. I just read this to mom, we both cracked up!!

I love you!!!
Was that 'yousies' or 'you sissies'? Well, you probably have the right to call most of us that after all you're enduring. Hang in there. Thanks for Chemo-Dialing me today. I hope the laughs last longer than the effects of the cocktail! Loving you.