Hanging out at the... Hospital

Here's the weird thing about cancer.  Some days, I feel totally fine and it is difficult to even remember that I am sick.  And then there are days like yesterday...On monday I started getting a runny nose and by Tuesday, I added a sore throat and a cough to the mix.  By yesterday afternoon my temperature was 101.5F.  My oncologist is pretty clear about checking in when things change or go haywire so I gave him a a call.  I knew what his answer was going to be...

The concern with fevers for me is due to what we call neutropenia.  Basically, although chemo takes out the wee beasties, it also does a number on my white blood cells or neutrophils.  I need those to help fight off infection.  When I get sick, my body does not have what it needs to put up a fight.  So, off to the ER we go.  It was an emotional moment when I had to call Rebecca up at camp to tell her that we needed to head in.  The goal was to get my counts checked to be sure that they weren't too low.   The nurse from the oncology clinic said, "I am not sure if they will admit you but you better be ready just in case."  Great, I am going to end the summer the same way I began-in the hospital.  Driving in we talked of the fact that I have made it all summer without being sick.  I mean, if you can call having Cancer, "not being sick."  It was once again a good reminder that my body is pretty weak right now and even though I go days where I feel pretty darn good, I am fighting an illness.

Kateri, our absolutely fabulous nanny agreed to hold onto Josh and Andrew so that Rebecca and I and Mary could make our way to St. Clare's in Baraboo.  Thankfully, I did not need to go all the way to Madison, and to save you the suspense I did not need to stay the night either.  My counts are low(1.4 for those of you playing at home) but they had not bottomed out yesterday!  I feel pretty good this morning.  Now, I must go rest up and get well just in time for Chemo tomorrow.  Make it a great day.

Comments

mama hoeben said…
So glad you are feeling better today. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you start the second half of your program. Take care, I love you.
Cheri N said…
Glad you get to sleep in your own bed. Good luck with the next chemo tx.